WHEN : Tuesday, 2/14 at noon
WHERE : Federal Building at 300 Ala Moana (gather at 11:45am at Ala Moana/Makai side entrance)
WHAT : Visit the offices of Senator Schatz, Senator Hirono and Rep. Gabbard
TALKING POINTS :
Schatz + Hirono:
- Thank them for all they have done so far.
- Encourage them to be continue to be vocal in resisting Trumpism, and know which Republican Senators they are talking to.
- Confirm that they are both Co-Sponsoring S. 291 which keeps politics out of the National Security Council and will remove Bannon from it.
- Reaffirm that we will be there every Tuesday and that we would like to once a month, since we represent a large group (over 450 people), meet either in person or via Skype with the senators.
- We want her to vigorously and vocally support HR 804 (companion bill to S.291). We want her to support Hanabusa, who co-sponsored this bill.
- We want clarification on why a state representative of a smaller populated state is doing a fact-finding mission in Syria when these missions are normally, and rightfully, carried out by the State Department. We want to know how this fits into her job description as a state representative, regardless of her personal feelings on the issues.
- We will will voice our concern for HR 6504 and ask her to reword it. The current wording can be used to discriminate against Muslims in the US, and allow the DNI far too much discretion on defining what terrorism can encompass.
- We see her meeting with Assad to be a violation of the Logan Act. We want to know how she will hold herself accountable to this violation.
(note : Hanabusa's office is in a separate building, making it difficult to include her on the same #resisttrumptuesday action. )
If you are not able to join #resisttrumptuesday in person, call:
Senator Brian Schatz: (808) 523-2061 or (202) 224-3934
Senator Mazie Hirono: (808) 522-8970 or (202) 224-6361
Congressperson Tulsi Gabbard: (808) 541-1986 or (202) 225-4906
Congressperson Colleen Hanabusa: (808) 541-2570 or (202) 225-2726