WHAT, WHERE + WHEN
Option 1 : Visit the offices of Senator Schatz, Senator Hirono, and Rep. Gabbard Federal Building at 300 Ala Moana (gather at 11:45am at Ala Moana/Makai side entrance)
Option 2 : Visit Rep Hanabusa's office on Fort Street at noon (1132 Bishop Street, Suite 1910)
NOTE : Bring a photo ID
TALKING POINTS :
By our count, this marks the 17th Tuesday we’ve made the rounds to our Congressional delegation, demanding that they stand firm against this administration and denounce the racist, bigoted, hateful work being put forth by this President and his cronies. In these weeks, we’ve met personally with three of our four Members of Congress (Schatz, Hanabusa, & Hirono). Schatz and Hirono have taken to the public pulpit via media appearances and social media to denounce policies and nominees that threaten to undermine everything we believe in, and we’ve watched as they’ve followed their words with their votes on the floor. Cong. Hanabusa has stepped up and shed her cloak of “business as usual,” digging into the issues both as the the policy-wonk she admits to being, and as the activist who won’t stand idly by. All three of them talk about us regularly as the spark that got them engaged and motivated to work harder and do more. Hanabusa now even calls us “My Tuesday people,” and encourages others to join us.
After weeks of dodging and defensiveness and a little bit of trickery, we finally got some answers from Congresswoman Gabbard on some of the issues we’ve asked about. She sent these answers via email and posted them on her website (link).
This week, our messages are as follows:
Sen. Schatz and Hirono:
(1) NO consideration of a new FBI chief until the DOJ calls for an independent investigation into the Russian influence over our elections and possible collusion by this administration.
(2) Continue to press your GOP colleagues to not just talk the talk, as many are now doing in the public domain, but to follow it up with action and votes on the Senate floor to stop this threat to our democracy.
(3) The Senate is the ONLY THING standing between Americans and an age tax, death sentences to people with pre-existing conditions, and the horrific treatment of women, children and our marginalized neighbors. This president’s health care disaster must be stopped and we are counting on you to do it. (And saying we just don’t have the votes isn’t good enough. Try harder!)
Thanks for becoming the SuperMan of net neutrality, particularly in a time with so much else clouding the landscape. (And kudos on the tweets sharing this address for comments: gofccyourself.com)
Congresswoman Hanabusa & Gabbard:
(1) An independent investigation of the Russia situation is vital and it’s needed NOW. There’s no excuse for anything less. Demand it and keep demanding it until we get it. No sound bites, no excuses. We want answers and we want our democracy preserved and protected.
(2) Your voice as a representative from a diverse and unique community is invaluable in talking about the fabric that makes America great. This president isn’t interested in representing the people you represent, and we expect you to be loud and decisive in your opposition to everything he is doing to further marginalize many, many Americans - including so many people in Hawaii.
(1) Thank you for taking our concerns so seriously regarding the horrific treatment of gay men in Chechnya, signing on to the Tillerson letter, and keeping your voice active on the issue. You heard us and took action. Thank you.
And to Congresswoman Gabbard:
(1) We expect you to join Cong. Hanabusa in denouncing the horrific treatment of gay men in Chechnya, both in policy forums and via media and social media.
(2) We are not satisfied with some of your answers to our probing questions, many of which have been heavily edited, and we want to talk story with you, as we have with your three colleagues. We want you to hear our concerns, not simply tell us what you think. When can we make that happen?
If you can't join in person, do it via phone or email:
Senator Mazie Hirono (808) 522-8970 or (202) 224-6361 / https://www.hirono.senate.gov/contact/email
Senator Brian Schatz (808) 523-2061 or (202) 224-3934 / https://www.schatz.senate.gov/contact
Congressperson Tulsi Gabbard (808) 541-1986 or (202) 225-4906 / https://gabbard.house.gov/connect/share-your-ideas
Congressperson Colleen Hanabusa (808) 541-2570 or (202) 225-2726 / https://hanabusa.house.gov/contact