THIS IS NOT A DRILL !!
HAWAI‘I J20+ is calling for immediate and urgent action to demand that each member of the Hawai‘i Congressional Delegation immediately introduce and work to pass laws that will:
- ensure that Trump cannot order pre-emptive strikes against North Korea or anyone else;
- enact a "No First Use" policy, wherein the president is authorized to use nuclear weapons ONLY if the U.S. was under a nuclear attack and;
- end to Trump's Executive War Powers.
Under the US Constitution, only the Congress can declare war. However, the president can do so independently in the case of nuclear war! This is unacceptable. We all know “nuclear war” is not war. It is annihilation and Hawai‘i is likely to be the first retaliatory target.
It is clear that Trump is ramping up for war against North Korea. Shockingly, he has refused to clearly state that he will not be the first to use nuclear weapons in any war. And, while Trump is willing to evacuate US citizens stationed in South Korea, nothing has been said about how people in Hawai‘i will be protected. There is no mention of a plan of evacuation, just a useless and dangerous message to “shelter in place,” something that will ensure our deaths!
We have a very short window of opportunity to avert disaster. There is no time to wait. We must act now!
1- FAX-A-THON (without fax machines)
- Use this template to send faxes to EACH of your Senators + the Representative of your district (as an attachment or cut-n-paste)
- Send free faxes to them at https://faxzero.com/fax_congress.php
2- Via phone or email, go HERE.
Why the Urgency?
Signs of Imminent Danger
+ Why is Hawai‘i the most likely target for a retaliatory nuclear strike by North Korea.
+ Any discussion about evacuating non-essential US personnel from South Korea is a sure sign that he is preparing for war.
- Is Trump Preparing for War With North Korea? (The Atlantic)
- The Cataclysm That Would Follow a 'Bloody Nose' Strike in North Korea (The Atlantic)
- Some see U.S. already on North Korea war footing, waiting for allies to get onboard (Japan Times)
Proposal for a "No First Use" policy
A "No First Use" policy would restrict the president from using nuclear weapons first. Meaning, the policy would require that an enemy fire nuclear weapons at us first. This would prevent a North Korea invasion as there is no way to get rid of their underground bunkers unless so called 'nuclear bunker busters' are used first. It was considered as a policy under Obama but it did not get done / Refusing to Nuke First (The Atlantic)
The Disaster that would Ensue after a Bloody Nose Strike / In confronting North Korea, Trump risks disaster (Washington Post)
Why Hawai‘i would be Hit / Want to Strike North Korea? It’s Not Going to Go the Way You Think (Politico)
2 interviews with Elaine Scarry about the state of nuclear despotism:
- The Contradiction of Nuclear Democracy (Boston Review)
- On Thermonuclear Monarchy (The American Reader)
A Bruce Blair PSA about not trusting Trump with nuclear power. (Please ignore the appearance of Hillary Clinton at the end. We do not support her or her party. We are non-partisan.)
Nuclear war impacts everyone - across the political spectrum and across the bipartisan gridlock. As Trump continues to engage in reckless behavior, both towards North Korea and to protect himself against political opposition, more and more people recognize that he should not be allowed to have his finger on the nuclear trigger.